[olug] To RAID or not to RAID

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Sep 22 18:09:58 CDT 2014

On 09/22/2014 06:01 PM, Christopher R. White wrote:
> For the moment, the best I have is a fireproof safe to store the drives
> in.  This is upstairs in the closet, bolted to the wall and shelf, so
> barring a flood that doesn't cover the house, we're good, lol.

Does this safe specifically say that it's rated for electronics? Most
fireproof safes are fireproof for paper, which combusts at 400F.
Exposing a hard drive to 400F (204C) temps for more than a couple
minutes will destroy it.  You're far better off finding an off-site
location where you can store your backup drive.

Oh, and don't forget about tornadoes.  You may never find that safe
again if one hits your house.

> As for the drive sled, its transparent to the OS and it doesn't use a
> caddy, the drive sits behind a door and just slides in.

So at least you can install the drive inside another computer, then,
right?  That's good.

> I've looked at online backup solutions but can't afford them at this time.

Thanks to my home upload speed and volume of data, online solutions are
impractical for me.  That's why I just keep USB drives at my office.
Two of them live there, and I alternate which one I bring home every
night to sync up.  Barring a nuclear blast that takes out the entire
city (and probably my entire family, too), I should never lose more than
72 hours worth of data.  And yes, the drives are encrypted, because I
don't trust my co-workers quite that much.

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>