[olug] To RAID or not to RAID

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Mon Sep 22 18:19:43 CDT 2014

Any chance you've got a friend out there on the Internets who would let
you keep a drive at his place?  For my remote backups, I do a two-step
process:

1)    rsync is a great way to back data up across a network (including
the Ethernet), especially where only a little data changes from one
backup session to the next.  So let's say I use rsync to back up my data
to "/backups/current" on the remote system.  Which I then follow with
step 2 ...

2)    /bin/cp -al /backups/current /backups/[date]

What that does is create a dated backup directory, but thanks to the
magic of the "-l" flag, hard links (not symbolic links) to the files in
/backups/current are created.  That means I have a logical copy of
/backups/current that takes up almost no additional drive space because
it's pointing to the same files on the file system.  Now, if any of
those files in /backups/current is changed the next time I run rsync,
the file in /backups/current is unlinked first and a new file is created
-- but the link to the original in /backups/[date] is left completely
untouched.