[olug] calling solaris guru...

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Dec 1 15:30:56 UTC 2008

>> Yesterday I put a different HD in my Ultra 5 and tried to do a fresh
>> install of Solaris 9 from CD.  The installer partitioned the drive and
>> copied the files over, but upon reboot it could not find the HD.  When I
>> probe-ide at the OB prompt, the HD is not found.  But if I boot from CD,
>> it finds the HD partition and asks if it's OK to install there.  When
>> booted single-user from the CD, I can fsck the partition in question,
>> and it reports some errors that it claims to fix (a 2nd fsck is clean).
>>  But when I try to boot from HD again to continue installation, it
>> still says the device is not found.

How big is your hard drive?  A friend of mine just went round & round
with a similar issue, only to eventually determine that his new hard
drive was twice as big as was supported by the machine.  I think it
had a 128GB limit.

> I had a similar problem when I tried to install Solaris x86.  The solution
> was that you had to have an command when you booted, saying where the root
> partition is.

That actually sounds more likely, since the install CD will see it.
I don't remember the actual command, either.

> Of course, I can't remember what the incantation is, but I
> know that later versions of Solaris use Grub as it's boot loader.  I'm not
> 100% sure if that's true on Solaris 9, tho.   If it does, then it's just
> grub's commands.

Sol9 does not use grub.  I'm not familiar with Sol10.