[olug] calling solaris guru...

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 14:54:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Tim & Alethea Larson
<thelarsons3 at cox.net>wrote:

> Hello.  I am hoping that someone more knowledgable about Solaris and Sun
> hardware is lurking about this list.

That may not be me, but I can pretend. :)

> Yesterday I put a different HD in my Ultra 5 and tried to do a fresh
> install of Solaris 9 from CD.  The installer partitioned the drive and
> copied the files over, but upon reboot it could not find the HD.  When I
> probe-ide at the OB prompt, the HD is not found.  But if I boot from CD,
> it finds the HD partition and asks if it's OK to install there.  When
> booted single-user from the CD, I can fsck the partition in question,
> and it reports some errors that it claims to fix (a 2nd fsck is clean).
>  But when I try to boot from HD again to continue installation, it
> still says the device is not found.
>
> I've been around this loop a couple times now.  Is there something else
> I can try to do to repair the HD, or at least wall off the bad
> blocks/sectors somehow?

I had a similar problem when I tried to install Solaris x86.  The solution
was that you had to have an command when you booted, saying where the root
partition is. Of course, I can't remember what the incantation is, but I
know that later versions of Solaris use Grub as it's boot loader.  I'm not
100% sure if that's true on Solaris 9, tho.   If it does, then it's just
grub's commands.

--
Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com/