[olug] Bluejay Usage Questionaire

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Jun 3 06:33:35 UTC 2005

Dave Thacker wrote:
>> a) They replaced all their HP-UX dudes with Windows weenies who,
>> incidentally, command smaller salaries
>
> Heh. but you need a lot more of them.

They already had the Windows admins.

They have Exchange and the needed software infrastructure.

They have the hardware infrastructure to support the user base.

The licenses to support the userbase is dirt cheap - remember that
Microsoft non-profit/education volume licenses are nearly free compared
to "regular" commercial volume liceses, especially with 6000+ users.

Remember what I said about politics - there are other reasons why the
HP-UX machines are going away, and I suspect it has absolutely nothing
to do with the technology.

> The Microsoft "Truth about Linux" FUD campaign is working.   In the
> early days of mainframes, you couldn't go wrong buying IBM.  Buying
> MS is like that these days.

Wrong politics.

Remember what I said about not having all the details? :)

>> For instance, I suspect they are going to start using Cisco's NAC
>> technology to try to keep security problems under control; this is
>> a school, after all, with 6000+ users (students, faculty, staff)
>> who have poor computer use habits.
>

> The revolution will start at smaller and more adventurous schools
> than Creighton.

Creighton was a big user of open-source software back in *1998*. Much of
the behind-the-scenes infrastructure was run on: FreeBSD, Solaris, or
HP-UX using: Sendmail, ISC DHCP, BIND, Apache, perl, UW-IMAP, qpopper, etc.

It was maintained by very gifted students (I was not one of them; this
was 7 years ago and a good bit before I aquired my own experience) and
their supervisors, the HP-UX admins.

So, what happened to it all?

Politics.

--