[olug] Bluejay Usage Questionaire

Mario Steele eumario at trilake.net
Fri Jun 3 13:12:38 UTC 2005

Phil Brutsche wrote:

>Dave Thacker wrote:
>

>>>a) They replaced all their HP-UX dudes with Windows weenies who,
>>>incidentally, command smaller salaries
>>>

>>Heh. but you need a lot more of them.
>>

>They already had the Windows admins.
>
>They have Exchange and the needed software infrastructure.
>
>They have the hardware infrastructure to support the user base.
>
>The licenses to support the userbase is dirt cheap - remember that
>Microsoft non-profit/education volume licenses are nearly free compared
>to "regular" commercial volume liceses, especially with 6000+ users.
>
>Remember what I said about politics - there are other reasons why the
>HP-UX machines are going away, and I suspect it has absolutely nothing
>to do with the technology.

Every College in the US has Micro$oft Admins. Simply for the fact that
99.9% of the students and faculty (That out rank the IT Students), run
Windows. And Micro$oft is loving every moment of it. However, they are
playing a very thin line. See below.

>>The Microsoft "Truth about Linux" FUD campaign is working.   In the
>>early days of mainframes, you couldn't go wrong buying IBM.  Buying
>>MS is like that these days.
>>

>Wrong politics.
>
>Remember what I said about not having all the details? :)

Micro$oft is against all competion out there, for the simple fact, that
they are competition, and they are "stealing" away their business.
That's money that isn't going into their bon fires at the company
picknicks. Anti-trust is just as strong now, as it was back when Billy
boy was running the company. I cannot begin to explain why Creighton is
turning towards the dark side. But I do know the facts of the evil
empire. They are out to ensure all IBM Clone Computers has Micro$oft
software on it. At one time, they wanted Micro$oft Operating System
software on the good old Apple computers. But Steve Jobs put a stop to
that. Funny how Billy boy and Stevie started out together as partners,
and ended up becoming rivals, in certian aspects. Politics or not,
Micro$oft is out for the money, plain and simple, as with any business.
Weither they are playing fair or not, is for the goverment to decide.
(Which they have done poorly so far)

>>>For instance, I suspect they are going to start using Cisco's NAC
>>>technology to try to keep security problems under control; this is
>>>a school, after all, with 6000+ users (students, faculty, staff)
>>>who have poor computer use habits.
>>>

>>The revolution will start at smaller and more adventurous schools
>>than Creighton.
>>

>Creighton was a big user of open-source software back in *1998*. Much of
>the behind-the-scenes infrastructure was run on: FreeBSD, Solaris, or
>HP-UX using: Sendmail, ISC DHCP, BIND, Apache, perl, UW-IMAP, qpopper, etc.
>
>It was maintained by very gifted students (I was not one of them; this
>was 7 years ago and a good bit before I aquired my own experience) and
>their supervisors, the HP-UX admins.
>
>So, what happened to it all?
>
>Politics.

This is correct, Creighton was a big supporter of Open Software back in
1998. The reason behind it was, most of the supervisors helped in the
development of these software systems. What has changed, isn't politics.
What has changed, is the fact that Programmer's have become lazy, in a
certian degree. The laziness comes from the fact, of why re-invent
something, when it works already. In comes Windows. The Politics has not
changed one bit. Right now though, they aren't weighing their statue of
problems, and such carefully enough. I can almost garuntee you, that
they'll be spending tripple the ammount in support for Windows, for
overtime on thoes machines, compared to what they was doing with HP-UX.

I say it, for the simple fact, that Windows, ANY copy of Windows, even
with SP applied to it, has security holes. It has instabilities, and
various other factors that majorly tie in to certian aspects of Window's
downfalls. We've all seen it ourselvs, otherwise, we wouldn't be on *nix
systems now. We'd still be paying out our hard earn money to a bunch of
"biggots" that think they know what's right for the end user, from their
own dictates.

Just like to note, that most of these statements are of my own personal
opinion, and may rely on fact, or fiction. One can never tell. If I
angered some, my apologizes, just felt like stepping up to the mic, and
expressing my feelings over it. My rant is over, you may now return to
your regularly scheduled list.

*steps off the Podium, and goes back to writting out diffrent strategies
to unite all under one front*

Mario Steele
http://www.trilake.net/
Trilake Computer Services (Web Hosting, Custom Building, PC Support,
Winblows Tech, PC Upgrading)

http://enchantedblade.trilake.net/
The insanity of the world, wrapped in a nice little HTML Document.
Welcome to my world now.