[olug] Bluejay Usage Questionaire

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Fri Jun 3 02:12:58 UTC 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 14:13, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Rob Townley wrote:
> > 1. Bluejay is expensive to maintain regarding licensing and hardware.
> >

> > 2. Bluejay storage overhead continues to consume expensive disk space
> >  and administration time.
> >
> > 3. Maintaining Bluejay consumes administrators' attentions that are
> > needed elsewhere.
> >
> > 4. While Bluejay is online for mail and personal web space DoIT
> > support resources are divided between it and emerging systems.
>
> What they fail to mention are...
>
> a) They replaced all their HP-UX dudes with Windows weenies who,
>    incidentally, command smaller salaries

Heh. but you need a lot more of them.
> b) Exchange may be expensive, but that's nothing compared to the support
>    costs for HP-UX and the PA-RISC machines they are getting rid of

If HP is anything like IBM, support costs increase dramatically after 5 years.
Savings on annual maintenance contracts for mission critical machines can
often justify purchasing newer equipment.

> c) There are other political and technical factors invovled that I doubt
>    anyone on the list is completely knowledgeable about

The Microsoft "Truth about Linux" FUD campaign is working.   In the early days
of mainframes, you couldn't go wrong buying IBM.  Buying MS is like that
these days.

> For instance, I suspect they are going to start using Cisco's NAC
> technology to try to keep security problems under control; this is a
> school, after all, with 6000+ users (students, faculty, staff) who have
> poor computer use habits.

The revolution will start at smaller and more adventurous schools than
Creighton.

> Hmm... I still know a few people at Creighton, I wonder if I can get a
> hold of any of that HP-UX gear cheap...

Go for it!

I'm still rooting for the Jays at the regional this weekend.

DT