[olug] qwest cable

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Sat Jul 30 03:45:07 UTC 2005

At Wed, 27 Jul 05, Unidentified Flying Banana John Dickson, said:
> I have good word that the up is 768 kb and down is 5 Mb. I think they
> run fiber to the addressable junction box in your back yard so you are
> dealing non-glass from your PC to the pedestal that is within eye-shot
> of your keyboard basically. Of course there is something different
> with an apartment complex.

Unless they've made major changes since I worked with them, it's 10 Mbit
downstream, and 2 Mbit upstream.  The speed has stayed fairly
consistent, or improved, since they started, so I'd be very surprised if
this has changed.  Estimates based on my own use suggest that 10up/2down
is about right.

They ran "fiber to the curb" to the neighborhoods west of I-680.  From
that local box it's coax to the house.  Same deal at apartments,
basically.  Fiber to the complex/building, and coax from there.