[olug] Knopix/Debian

Irv Cobb irvcobb at huntel.net
Tue Sep 16 20:57:37 UTC 2003

Type

whereis gcc

in a terminal to see if it's on the system.

There are a number of ways to make the link, but if you like the gui,
here's how I do it in KDE:

1. Use Konqeror to navigate to the folder that holds gcc.
2. Right-click gcc, choose rename and call it gccOLD.
3. Left-click gcc-2.95, hold and drag it to the desktop.
4. Choose "link here"
5. Rename the newly created link on the desktop to "gcc".
6. Left-click, hold and drag it back to the Konqeror window.
7. This time, choose "move here".
8. All done!

(To undo this, just delete gcc and rename gccOLD to gcc.)

With apologies to all of the command line lovers who by now are in
extreme mental anguish . . .

Irv