[olug] Perl Debugger

Sam Tetherow tetherow at nicusa.com
Thu Jun 12 16:29:51 UTC 2003

Jay Hannah wrote:
> "Jon H. Larsen" wrote:
>
>>Any recommendations for a GUI Perl debugger to run on Linux?
>

> I watched over a friends shoulder as he was playing around with Perl.NET
> in Visual Studio (Windows). We shared several "oh, that's kinda neat"
> moments. Colors, clickable breakpoints, syntax help, etc. It was all
> very slick. At first.
>
> I guess I'm old fashioned. I've just never liked GUI programming
> environments. When I know what I'm doing and am trying to get work done
> their constant "helpfulness" annoys me. I seem to be in the minority in
> this opinion: I've noticed over the last couple of years I even have to
> religiously turn syntax help off in programs that used to be *text*
> editors. Like a grumpy old man I grumble/curse and turn vi/vim's colors
> off:
>
>    :syntax off
>
> Too grumpy for a 27 year old. -grin-
>
> Good luck finding what you're looking for. (I recommend /bin/vi or
> C:\Windows\Notepad.exe for Perl development. -grin-)
>
> Jay
> Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org

I was with you all the way up to the syntax highlighting ;)

Although I can do without the autoindent... (go figure, I am lazy
everywhere else but this one just annoys the crap out of me)  And I
wouldn't suggest C:\Windows for much of anything :)

Sam Tetherow                           tetherow at nicusa.com
Director of Development
NIC Labs (PSSG)                        http://www.nicusa.com