[olug] Perl Debugger

Jon H. Larsen relayer at omahadirect.net
Thu Jun 12 16:51:25 UTC 2003

I'm using vim for just about everything, Linux or windows.  The Syntax
highlighting really helps for spotting things.

I've seen Ajunta, but I'm not sure how the debugger works in respects to
perl.

The perl debugger is okay, and I'll use it when I have to.

I thought that I would throw out the question and see what kind of

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Jay Hannah wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:35:12 -0500
> From: Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net>
> To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Cc: omaha-list at happyfunball.pm.org
> Subject: Re: [olug] Perl Debugger
>

> "Jon H. Larsen" wrote:
> > Any recommendations for a GUI Perl debugger to run on Linux?
>
> I watched over a friends shoulder as he was playing around with Perl.NET
> in Visual Studio (Windows). We shared several "oh, that's kinda neat"
> moments. Colors, clickable breakpoints, syntax help, etc. It was all
> very slick. At first.
>
> I guess I'm old fashioned. I've just never liked GUI programming
> environments. When I know what I'm doing and am trying to get work done
> their constant "helpfulness" annoys me. I seem to be in the minority in
> this opinion: I've noticed over the last couple of years I even have to
> religiously turn syntax help off in programs that used to be *text*
> editors. Like a grumpy old man I grumble/curse and turn vi/vim's colors
> off:
>
>    :syntax off
>
> Too grumpy for a 27 year old. -grin-
>
> Good luck finding what you're looking for. (I recommend /bin/vi or
> C:\Windows\Notepad.exe for Perl development. -grin-)
>
> Jay
> Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org

Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at omahadirect dot net
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org
ICQ#: 10412618 - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl
PGP Pubkey - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl/relayerpubkey.txt