[olug] Perl Debugger

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Thu Jun 12 13:35:12 UTC 2003

"Jon H. Larsen" wrote:
> Any recommendations for a GUI Perl debugger to run on Linux?

I watched over a friends shoulder as he was playing around with Perl.NET
in Visual Studio (Windows). We shared several "oh, that's kinda neat"
moments. Colors, clickable breakpoints, syntax help, etc. It was all
very slick. At first.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I've just never liked GUI programming
environments. When I know what I'm doing and am trying to get work done
their constant "helpfulness" annoys me. I seem to be in the minority in
this opinion: I've noticed over the last couple of years I even have to
religiously turn syntax help off in programs that used to be *text*
editors. Like a grumpy old man I grumble/curse and turn vi/vim's colors
off:

   :syntax off

Too grumpy for a 27 year old. -grin-

Good luck finding what you're looking for. (I recommend /bin/vi or
C:\Windows\Notepad.exe for Perl development. -grin-)

Jay
Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org