[olug] upgrading to Fedora 21 - smoothest one in a while

Jon Larsen jon at jonlarsen.us
Mon Dec 15 10:18:58 CST 2014

I used fedup to upgrade my laptop and desktop (as I have with the previous
two versions).

My laptop is working okay.  I had a graphics issue with 3.17.4 on the
laptop when using the built in intel and external USB displaylink adapter.
That appears resolved in 3.17.6.

On my desktop, with 3.17.4, I didn't have any sound.  The sound card is
listed in lspci, but no kernel modules get loaded to support the card.
This was resolved by running the 3.17.6 kernel (lsmod|grep snd shows the
modules).  Oddly enough, I did get 3.17.6 installed but it wasn't the
default kernel in grub at boot, 3.17.4 was, so I had to edit the
/etc/default/grub file and set GRUB_DEFAULT=0 (it was =saved).  That may
have been a product of the upgrade, or when I removed the older fedora 20
kernels.

Jon L.