[olug] Fedora upgrade to v. 19

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Thu Jul 4 18:36:09 UTC 2013

Version 19 of Fedora just came out, and I'm updating servers today. Now
last time I updated Fedora, it was a convoluted, daunting process, but
that was primarily because Fedora was merging some key directories and
it required some manual intervention.

But the upgrade from 18 to 19 is the exact opposite: it's never been
easier.  Fedora has long offered a means to upgrade via yum, and while
they do not recommend the process, they acknowledge that it works, and
they even post step-by-step instructions (which you're not supposed to
follow).  But this time they've gone a step easier: they've made a
script that will do all the steps you're not supposed to do.

So the upgrade process you're not supposed to perform is now:

1)    yum install fedora-upgrade

2)    fedora-upgrade

3)    reboot

So far, five for five servers have updated properly doing this.