[olug] [OT] Verizon data plans...

Ben Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 17:51:08 UTC 2012

If you want to surf the web from your phone without using 3G, then you
simply connect your phone to a wireless access point (e.g. wifi router
at your house, free wifi at businesses, etc.).  This is completely
free and does not require a WiFi Hotspot capability or any additional
software/apps.  That is, the ability for the phone to connect to a
WiFi access point is supported by the underlying hardware/OS by
default.

On the other hand, if you want to share your 3G connection to other
devices (like a laptop), then you would need a WiFi Hotspot capability
on the phone.  This allows those "other devices" to discover your
phone much like they would discover a WiFi access point.  In effect,
your phone becomes a WiFi access point.  Most providers charge extra
for this, but some custom ROMs have been able to get around it.  YMMV.

Ben