[olug] Domain Specific DNS / Interface Specific DNS

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue May 31 15:13:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:
> /etc/networks looks like it would work, but "man networks" tells me it
> is not for CIDR networks such as PrivateDomain.com 192.168.6.0/24.
>
> There are DNS1 and DNS2 entries in the ifcfg-* files, but i think they
> just get appended to /etc/resolv.conf which would not not help.
>
> man resolv.conf does not seem to indicate how to send all requests for
> hosts in PrivateDomain.com to 192.168.6.1.
>
> i don't want to setup bind on each laptop / workstation.

I feel like I'm missing a clear understanding/explanation of the
problem you're trying to solve, so my suggestion may not be entirely
applicable.  Assuming you have a domain PrivateDomain.com, and you
want to serve a specific (different?) set of DNS responses to a given
set of clients, you might be able to accomplish it with views in BIND.
 This tackles the problem (as I understand it) from the server side,
rather than putting the work on the client side name resolution.

Have all the machines configured to send their queries to a BIND
server, and have that BIND server configured with different views
based on the source of the DNS request.  If the request comes from
group A, server up the appropriate response.  If the request comes
from group B, serve up the alternate response.  This can also work if
the DNS queries for PrivateDomain.com need to be looked up from an
external server, using forwarder entries in the view.

--
Christopher