[olug] Domain Specific DNS / Interface Specific DNS

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:01:23 UTC 2011

> Have all the machines configured to send their queries to a BIND
> server, and have that BIND server configured with different views
> based on the source of the DNS request.  If the request comes from
> group A, server up the appropriate response.  If the request comes
> from group B, serve up the alternate response.  This can also work if
> the DNS queries for PrivateDomain.com need to be looked up from an
> external server, using forwarder entries in the view.
>
> --
> Christopher

Roaming laptops at various locations using various forms of internet service.
I could route all dns queries all-the-time-over-the-VPN which is what
i would like to do because it is safer, but that will get too slow at
times to the point of breaking things.

"This can also work if the DNS queries for PrivateDomain.com need to
be looked up from an external server, using forwarder entries in the
view."
This does not mean the laptop could use 208.67.222.222 and when
OpenDNS sends a query to our DNS server, OpenDNS would get a different
answer because it came from one of our own laptops, does it?  If so, i
would love to know how?  Is it a feature of DNSSEC or something?
Otherwise, what do you mean?