[olug] Heart attack after 11.04 upgrade

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Jun 29 16:12:10 UTC 2011

> Did you get into Gnome Classic mode and is it working for you?  I just
> wanted to hear a follow-up on your experience.
>
> One of the devs at AIM is considering upgrading, and was curious about the
> Gnome Classic option.

Switching back to classic mode was as simple as selecting it at the
bottom of the GDM login screen after I'd entered my username.  It
still lost several of my customized settings from my old setup,
like the mouse actions for switching workspaces.  I've only spent a
couple minutes at that computer since the upgrade, so I don't have a
thorough understanding of what all might be different.  The workspace
switching is the only thing that I know for sure didn't get retained
after switching back to classic mode.

I was quite disappointed to find that X is still segfaulting occasionally
even after the upgrade.  It usually (but not always) happens when I'm
not doing anything on the console -- just a blank screensaver while
I'm away.  Gonna have to track that one down.  This also happened before
the upgrade, so don't let it scare your friend.