[olug] WiFi site survey?

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Jun 29 13:57:26 UTC 2011

Just to provide feedback to the list, here's the list that I came up with.

1: There were no specific local companies suggested, but a few people
mentioned contacting manufacturers directly to see if they have a list of
suggested local reps that could perform the WiFi survey.

 * Cons: The big downfall to this is that the survey may be done with only a
specific brand of AP in mind.

 * Pros: The benefit is that the survey cost may be deducted from a final
purchase price.

2: I got a number of recommendations for tools to perform the survey
yourself:

 * AirMagnet by Fluke:
http://www.flukenetworks.com/enterprise-network/wireless-network/AirMagnet-Survey

  * IIRC, this is one of the tools that I have seen in past jobs used by
wireless surveying companies.  I can't speak to it's price nor ease of use.

 * AeroHive: http://www2.aerohive.com/l/1244/2010-05-05/GYKAL

  * Video on page that walks through using the on-line site-mapping tool,
but only has "AeroHive" APs.

  * Probably not a bad tool to play with to get some rough what-if ideas
since 802.11 radio signals should behave similarly regardless of vendor.  (If
Rodger D were still here, I'm sure we'd get a write-up on the propagation
differences based on subtle antenna lengths and placement.)

 * TamoGRaph: http://www.tamos.com/products/wifi-site-survey/

 * WaveDeploy: http://www.veriwave.com/

  * Free version does basic signal strength estimating

  * Purchased products also perform additional computations to determine
differences between 11g vs 11n networks, VoIP vs streaming video
experiences, and other factors.

If I were doing this on zero/small budget, I'd look at the AeroHive site
first and spend the time uploading the current floor plan and see how it
matches with real world.  Then have it do the what-if and see if the
suggestions seem sane.

After that, I'd suggest either hiring a professional or buy one of the tools
and start learning all about signal propagation, interference patterns,
attenuation due to walls, floors, etc. :-)

 Dan

--