[olug] Heart attack after 11.04 upgrade

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Jun 28 15:15:41 UTC 2011

> Ubuntu 11.04 went to Unity as its default.  Icons on the side.  I heard it
> described as "more Mac-like".  I use it at work on the desktop and it takes
> some getting used to.  On the home machine it couldn't upgrade to it so I'm
> using Gnome still.  Not that difficult to switch between the two IMO.

Yes, it's very Mac-like.  That's one of the aspects of the Mac GUI that
I never could get used to.  I want my apps self-contained, and I want
that top bar to contain the things that I want it to contain, with no
goofy splash bars popping up over the sides of my apps when I venture
too close to the edge of the screen.  My previous environment was very
space- and time-efficient, and Unity is several big steps backward in
both regards.