[olug] Windstream DSL and a Sagemcom 1704

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Jan 20 02:29:44 UTC 2011

Anyone here have Windstream DSL in their home?  My dad just upgraded to
their 7Mbit earlier this week (Tuesday?), and while he was going through the
first initial setup of the DSL modem, their system went down.  (The
installer/technician that was out there at the time said it was a problem on
their end and to try again tomorrow...)  Anyway, the current state of the
device is that the PCs on the LAN are getting 192.168.254.X addresses from
the DSL on the Sagemcom modem/firewall, but when we get on to the router and
run the "diagnostics" tests, it's failing on the "DSL" and "Internet" tests.

>From these results, I *know* it's a problem on their end, but when my dad
called in earlier this afternoon and they transferred him up to the
"advanced support team" (after the first lady didn't know what an a DNS
server IP address was), the advanced team said that he had to agree to 6
months of their higher rate plan to get support!

Questions:
 1: Is the support really that way with Windstream?  (Once we get on to the
Internet, we'll be self-sufficient...)
 2: Anyone know of a way to truly perform a hard-reset so the modem will let
him re-start the initial setup?  (It looks like it thinks it's
configured...)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"