[olug] Wiki for non techies...

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:55:45 UTC 2011

The Windows server license does cost, but Sharepoint Foundation
doesn't have a CAL.  One caveat that I did neglect is that it requires
a 64 bit server OS for 2010.

As far as my experience with "normal" users goes, well in my
experience, college educated doesn't really mean a lot other than they
have sufficient skills and discipline to get through about 8 semesters
of college.  Implementing a new tool, in any environment, is going to
be met with resistance even if it's a good tool.  A tool who's benefit
is unclear or poorly sold will meet with proportionally great
resistance.  Introducing a change to work process will *always* cause
a loss of productivity as people adapt to it.  If you have good
training and a motivated work force which wants the change that loss
of productivity will be shorter in duration and less severe than a
change that doesn't include training or poorly motivated workers.
This is why introducing a tool with familiar interface is an
advantage.  Less training needed equals less loss of productivity.

Wiki's in general in business seem like a great thing.  In practice I
am not sold on them yet.  Even among technically proficient users to
whom the UI is no barrier will not spontaneously start putting
documentation into a wiki and getting it linked if they aren't
motivated to do so.  I see this even in the IT department.