[olug] Wiki for non techies...

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Feb 14 18:16:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> I'm going to setup a Wiki at work to document some of our groups common
> tasks and solutions.  Initially, it will be just myself and
> another technically savvy sysadmin who will be keeping it updated, but my
> long term plans are to have others contribute to the Wiki and some of them
> may not be comfortable writing in the common Wiki formatting language.

[Snip: Wiki list]

For a straight Wiki, I'm a big fan of DokuWiki.  It was originally
designed for documentation purposes, and it works really well for
that.  It's a piece of cake to install, and among the easier Wikis to
edit and work with.

> Most of these documents that I want to
> put on the Wiki have a lot of screen shots and other images in-line with the
> text.  Does anyone know of a Wiki that supports a WYSIWYG interface that
> allows for easier uploading of in-line images?

I feel dirty even suggesting this, but if you're going to have
non-technical people working on this, and you plan do do lots of
screen shots and such, the best tool I've found is Microsoft OneNote.
There's nothing else I know of that's as easy to add screenshots and
random text to.  On top of that, it has built in support for
replication and simultaneous access/editing when you make use of a
network drive or Sharepoint[0].

I hate to admit it, but OneNote is actually a great tool for technical
documentation.

> DanL

[0] I hate Sharepoint.  I think it's one of the crappiest
implementations of a document storage, knowledge base, and
collaboration tool available.  In my experience, it's primary use is
as a web accessible fileshare.  It's just as hard to find things,
search sucks just as much, but Sharepoint is a bigger pain in the ass
to administer.  However, the one case I've found that it is (barely)
useful for, if you have Sharepoint installed anyway on your corporate
network, is for hosting OneNote Notebooks.

--
Christopher