[olug] Helpdesk question

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Fri Sep 11 21:11:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Craig Wolf <CJWolf at mpsomaha.org> wrote:
> Need some help guys...looking for open source/free helpdesk/job tracking software such as Footprints (Not Open Source) from Numara.  We had this discussion a while back...anyone find the old info?

I've used Request Tracker (RT) numerous times in the past with great
success.  The fact that end-users barely have to know it exists, as
their interaction with it is entirely through e-mail makes it very
comfortable for them.  It has great flexibility, and will scale as far
as you need it to.

An organization I used to be involved with used OTRS for a while.  It
wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was as good as RT.

The biggest knock against RT is that installing it can be a little
difficult.  However, if you use a Debian/Ubuntu distribution, there's
packages for it and it's very easy to install.  If you're using
RHEL/CentOS, I think there's an RT package in EPEL, too.

--
Christopher