[olug] Remote Desktop

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Oct 29 23:46:58 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 10:31:04 pm Kelly Williams wrote:
> What is a good program that I can use on my linux Server to connect
> from a client on my network and i don't want to use VNC. I have been
> using that I have to leave the machine unlocked to get in and i want to
> start locking it so people just can't turn on the monitor and see what i
> am doing..

At least by default, all the major Linux VNC servers run their own X11 server
and can only be accessed remotely-- eg, not visible on a local monitor. Only a
few (x11vnc and krfb?) support sharing the monitor's display.

X11 forwarding is an option, but it tends to use a lot of bandwidth especially
now where toolkits are just using pixmaps instead of text/widgets. I only use
it on my LAN.

Quite frankly, I hope X12 restores the original network transparency X11 had--
with toolkits such as Qt on the server end, instead of part of the clients.

Luke