[olug] Getting true version of RHES

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Jun 12 05:28:44 UTC 2009

> is it still in /etc/issue ?

It is on RHEL 4.7, any way.  If it's not in RHEL5, then check the version
of the kernel (`rpm -qi kernel`).  Each kernel version should be unique
to a given RHEL version.

I've had to change /etc/redhat-release before to fool installers, too.
At least I always kept a backup copy right next to it, though.