[olug] Getting true version of RHES

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Jun 12 13:45:22 UTC 2009

Following up on my notes, I've got a temporar RHEL AS 4.8 server up so I can
test the "rpm" commands.  My /etc/redhat-release on a fresh install reports:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 8)

1: Check the package that contains /etc/redhat-release:
# rpm -qf /etc/redhat-release
redhat-release-4AS-9

2: Checking other files in that package:
# rpm -ql redhat-release-4AS-9
/etc/issue
/etc/issue.net
/etc/redhat-release
/etc/sysconfig/rhn
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
/usr/share/doc/redhat-release-4AS
/usr/share/doc/redhat-release-4AS/EULA
...snip...
/usr/share/firstboot/modules/eula.py
/usr/share/firstboot/modules/eula.pyc
/var/lib/supportinfo

Nothing specifically stating "RHEL 4.8", but a lot of files that should all
be related.

Someone wrote:
> is it still in /etc/issue ?

My 4.8 server has this in its /etc/issue:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 8)
Kernel \r on an \m

This looks like a good alternative to /etc/redhat-release.

If the /etc/issue has been modified, check /etc/issue.net.

Finally, if that fails, look at the README-$ARCH-en file:
# head -1 /usr/share/doc/redhat-release-4AS/README-x86_64-en
                    Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Nahant .8)

Good luck!

Dan

--