[olug] need some quick help with sed

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 21:57:03 UTC 2009

hmm.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> > i know it's sloppy, but that was the quick way of patching what i did
> wrong.
> > when i go back to clean up the code, i will consolidate into a single,
> more
> > elegant line of code.
> > 10,000 lines of code and growning, so i need to be on to other aspects of
> it
> > to get it fully functional.
> > after that, i'll make it pretty.
>
> SUUUURE you will...  Once it's functional, you'll never touch it again,
> because it'll be damn low on your priority list.  Code that's initially
> ugly, poorly written, and hard to maintain will forever remain ugly,
> poorly written, and hard to maintain.  You're far better off writing
> it correctly the first time.

i've got a bit of a compulsion.
trust me...it won't stay that way.
not sure how you write, but with me, it's like writing a book.

do an outline (flowchart - sometimes just in my head)
do a rough draft (pseudo code - usually vague text files)
write the damn thing (make it work - where i'm at now)
proof-read (make it proper)

your general assumption that i would not follow these steps is a mystery to
me.
you never revise your own code?

> That's one of my pet peeves.

baseless assumptions are my pet peeve, but i still appreciate your help with
sed.
many of the examples that i study just look like this...

...as if GNU itself is mocking me.