[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:28:38 UTC 2009

Even going through just my freshman year at UNL in Computer Science, I
must say that it was by far the most useless program ever for IT.

If you want to write programs, do Computer Science.  It's a great
program if that's your goal.

If you want to get out of the cubicle and step onto the raised floor,
consider Electrical Engineering.  I job-shadowed a few folks at the
ConAgra ETSC in Omaha and a majority of the NOC folks are EEs.

And then there's the already-discussed issue of certifications.  Certs
really do mean more to an employer than a college degree, but the two
combined is always a great combination.