[olug] issues w/ skype, wine, WoW

Jennifer Frasier wookieburgers at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 03:39:51 UTC 2008

As you may know, there have been issues with pulseaudio and skype. In an
attempt to get skype working, I downloaded the static oss version per the
info I found on this page:
Also, I changed wine to use oss and changed my launcher for WoW to the
following text (just adding padsp):
#!/bin/sh
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo X :3 -ac &   # Launches a new X session on display 3
nvidia-settings --load-config-only
cd /home/jen/WoW
sleep 2   # Forces the system to have a break for 2 seconds
DISPLAY=:3 nice -n 18 padsp wine WoW.exe &  # Launches WoW

Everything tests fine. In System/Preferences/Sound everything is set to oss.
If I run padsp /home/jen/skype/skype (the static oss version), I am able to
make a succesful test call. I have yet to test skype while running WoW
because now when I launch WoW, I am not getting any sound at all.

Basically, I have to stop gdm to run WoW and skype because my computer has
very little memory. If I do not stop gdm, one or the other will lock up or
lag. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, another way to launch WoW and skype
given my limited memory (yeah, I know, just buy more), and/or another option
for voice chat?

--
"Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a
futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself