[olug] OT: hauppauge hd pvr and something else weird

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Jul 18 18:58:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Will Langford <unfies at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyhoo.. I live in an apartment with brick exterior.  I'm fairly
> certain I'd have a hard time finding a common ground.  Also, there are
> a couple patch spots where a male<=>male thing is used to group a
> couple cables together :(.  The wire going around the outside of the
> apartment undoubtedly makes some nasty turns, I'll have to check.  The
> curious bit will be how the cable is ran inside the house, I believe
> it's just a drilled-hole-with-insulation through a window sill heh.
>
> Also, to note, I do have GHz spec'd splitters (a 2 way and a 3 way,
> only one is installed tho, and yes I've swapped them to no avail).
>
> I'll take a look around the cabling areas and see what I can find.  I
> imagine I might end up getting a run of new cable and have to cut the
> old one out :/.

If you have the Cox wiring coverage ("Cox Service Assurance Plan Coverage")
then they should come out and check/fix if it's a wiring problem past their
entry into your building.

If you can take a TV/monitor down to the point where the cable TV comes our
of their box and you're still seeing the interference then you'd have a good
case with them.

If your building has a single feed and a lot of passive splitters, you might
want to get ahold of them and have them put in a powered splitter/amplifier.

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal