[olug] Cox DVR questions...

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 20:45:14 UTC 2008

Downloading the MCE drivers from Hauppauage instead of the regular
drivers improved quality a good bit.  The guide is still nice, and
I've told it to record a few things to see how it works out.  While
overall MCE seems to do quite nicely, I'm finding the lack of options
for 'low level' capture control to be a bit irksome -- IE: I'd love to
turn down the color saturation just a touch.  I also lack the option
to stretch SD picture into a widescreen format.  While I'm indifferent
on short fat people vs regular proportions, I know others in the
household would definitely prefer no black bars on the sides.

I don't think the PVR150 quality is up to snuff compared to a regular
Cox digital box, but it seems either on par or better than hooking
analog cable directly to my TV.

Question: anyone know if when having digital cable if Cox transmits
CH1-70 in digital as well as 100+ ?

I'll have a busy weekend, but I'll look into getting mythbuntu setup
early next week.  This will undoubtedly be on an AMD XP ~1.2ghz
machine with 1GB of RAM, 80-160gb of sata hd space, and an ATI 9550
agp cards with DVI out.  I'm unsure if I'll get the Cox DVR switched
out for a vanilla box, however (undoubtedly so... no sense in paying
for the DVR box when I don't even have power to it heh).... and I'm a
bit... curious about the IR blaster thing included with the ADS Tech
tuner.  It's a 3.5mm serial plug, the PVR-150 lacks said plug, but the
USB receiver for the MCE remote has two 3.5mm plugs on the back of it
labeled IR (to act as a relay or as a hub for receivers??).

Lastly, having been casually browsing capture options, I've noted that
there are a lot more component capture devices out there than I had
previously thought.  I've not gone about cross referencing any of them
with Linux drivers however.  If I was running an SD television, I
wouldn't care.... but... such is not the case.

-Will