[olug] Cox DVR questions...

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 03:55:52 UTC 2008

Hauppauge PVR150MCE arrived today.

Tuner is definitely better than the old bt878 thing I was using... but
I notice the sometimes-wavy analog cable signal I've always gotten
here.  Svideo seemed okay, although I don't think MCE is all that
happy with it.

Something I'll immediately point out -- Windows MCE really seems to
suck balls at picking a capture resolution for live TV and the like...
lines can be quite pixelated :). MCE's guide is pretty good from just
a half hour fiddling around.

gbPVR seemed to do better with live tv, but it was most definitely way
too rough around the edges as a software package.  Haven't tried Media
Portal.

Windows also seems to have issues with occaissionally
pausing/skipping.  Hardware RAID-1 might be the issue as CPU usage on
the dual core p4 seems to hover around 85% idle (only doing live tv)
and antivirus stuff is temporarily disabled.

Something also evil to note, MCE seems quite ... unhappy adjusting
color/contrast/etc stuff via the tuner.

I'll work on getting mythbuntu on another system sometime early next week :)

-Will