[olug] rndc named dhcpd et al.

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Jan 30 03:38:03 UTC 2008

> like for example: i want setup (in my local, non-public named
> configuration) a domain like "boobarbaxola.com" and so that when i
> request "boobarbaxola.com" via squid, squid's dns look up puts the
> request to the my local httpd server running on like 192.168.23.2 ... or
> something similiar.

That sounds like the reverse HTTP proxy setup that I just created this
month at work.  I'll try to remember to send you the relevent portions
of our config file when I'm at work tomorrow.

This was another one of those things that wasn't documented as well as
I'd have liked, and therefore took a while to get down right.  It
didn't help that I was also trying to make squid terminate HTTPS
connections for several internal HTTP servers.

> the rndc part (setting up dynamic dns) would be cool. so "host a" can
> make a dhcp request for an ip, specify a hostname and then "host b" can
> do a "ping host_a_name" and have it resolve automagically ... i'm just
> dump about the part of system configuration.

That's rather well documented, by comparison.  You need to setup
an authorization key for named that's shared by the DHCP server.
The security experts say you shouldn't let the clients update their
own DNS records via DDNS, but should instead let them request a name
from the DHCP server, which in turn updates DNS.  By all accounts,
it's rather difficult to have both manually and dynamically assigned
hostnames in the same domain, because you must make sure you're not
manually changing something that DDNS has already touched.  It's
better to create a subdomain (hostname.ddns.mydomain.com) to keep
all the DDNS hosts in.