[olug] rndc named dhcpd et al.

m0ntar3 m0ntar3 at cox.net
Wed Jan 30 02:57:20 UTC 2008

i've a squid proxy running quite nicely at home; i've got a named cache
daemon running nicely too. i've got mysql, apache22, php5, and drupal
all running cute too.. but i need more (some pointers) ... what i'd like
to do is "stub" domain requests running through the squid proxy ... so i
can play around with vhost on the drupal/apache22 installation.

like for example: i want setup (in my local, non-public named
configuration) a domain like "boobarbaxola.com" and so that when i
request "boobarbaxola.com" via squid, squid's dns look up puts the
request to the my local httpd server running on like 192.168.23.2 ... or
something similiar.

the rndc part (setting up dynamic dns) would be cool. so "host a" can
make a dhcp request for an ip, specify a hostname and then "host b" can
do a "ping host_a_name" and have it resolve automagically ... i'm just
dump about the part of system configuration.

thanks.