[olug] Laptop HD for borrowing?

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Oct 29 03:54:52 UTC 2007

On Sunday 28 October 2007, Dan Clough wrote:
> A 900Mhz iBook is a decent interwebs-browsing/light-use laptop.

I would think so, too. But somehow this one is horrible :(
I'm hoping it's just the HD failing turning into a bottleneck in the meantime.

> My 700Mhz handled OS X 10.3 quite well with 384MB RAM.

It runs Gentoo with 256 MB RAM.
My performance issues persist even when not compiling ;)

> Jay at RTU might have some laptop HDs left over, although when I went
> there yesterday I discovered that alot of things got thrown out.  Odds
> are, now that you need it, he probably doesn't have it.  ;)  But anyway,
> if you use your iBook for anything other than internet browsing/e-mail,
> I'd suggest moving up to a used PowerBook G4 (And perhaps even upgrading
> to Leopard - it's amazing, even on a G4), and if need be, maybe even a
> new MacBook.

I can't afford a new PC right now, and have no interest in Apple's x86 stuff.
As far as I'm concerned, Apple's sole purpose in existing was to sell PPC. ;)