[olug] Old Machine Reboot (Tom)

William Haisch whaisch3 at cox.net
Sat Nov 17 19:45:20 UTC 2007

Wow.  Looks like there are too many files on the system and the open
file table has filled up.  This seems to indicate that when a new
connection is established, the system can't record the new socket
(because its a file) and drops the connection.  Its time for
asymmetric warfare via scorched earth policy!  I would do some
research on ways to exploit a security vulnerability in the Debian OS
or any of the services to force a reboot, possibly a DoS if you're
desperate.  Maybe find something on http://www.securityfocus.com/
vulnerabilities?  Maybe use Metasploit to 0wn your own box?

-Wm.H.
William Haisch

My References:
This is the only page (in English) that even describes what could be
going on.  This is for SGI IRIX but it seems to apply here:
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?
cmd=getdoc&coll=0650&db=man&fname=2%20intro