[olug] Forward Apache SSL to Lighttpd

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Sun Jun 24 04:58:14 UTC 2007

On 6/23/07, Mike Hostetler <hostetlerm at gmail.com> wrote:
> This isn't totally Linux related, but it is Unix related.  I hope that
> someone with more experience can help me out.
>
> I'm working on a Django project and my provider is pretty much forcing
> me to use Lighttpd with FastCGI for it.  And that's fine with me.
> Their recommended setup is to have Apache 2 forward the request to my
> own Lighttpd server running.  I'm using ProxyPass to do this for
> non-SSL connections, like so:
>
> ProxyPass /path http://127.0.0.1:port/path
>
> and it's working fine.
>
> But part of my site needs to use SSL.  When I try to do something
> similar in my Apache virtual server, I get "Too many redirects".
>
> I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.  Anyone have any hints?
> --

Mike,

If you are running .9 or better you should take a look at running it
under mod_wsgi on apache2.
http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/IntegrationWithDjango

mod_wsgi is most likely going to be the way to run wsgi stack web apps
under Apache. TG/Pylons/django/et al  have or are moving to it.

Why are you forwarding and not just using Lighttpd straight up?  Doh,
now I just re-read your post -- I just assumed you were running your
own server.  Which provider?  Have you tried googling in general for
ideas?  I found:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Proxy+LigHTTPD+Apache2+on+Debian+Sarge

-Jeff
www.omahapython.org