[olug] adding swapfile

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Jan 29 21:38:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, January 29, 2007 14:07, Noel Leistad wrote:
> Swap recommendations I've seen
> 4096MB RAM -- > 13300MB Swap??
> SO, confirming:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/tmp/newswapfile bs=1024 count=12583000

I'd go with what SAP recommends for this system.  Whenever I setup a
system I've always used the 1.5x or 2x multiplier depending on how much
HDD I had to play with.  In this case, if you have plenty of HDD space,
then I would try for 8GB of swap.

> then
> mkswap /usr/tmp/newswapfile
> swapon /usr/tmp/newswapfile

That works here.

The only thing you might want to suggest is use a swap _partition_ rather
than a _file_.  There use to be some significant overhead for the files.
The upside is that you can delete them when you're done using them and get
your space back easily.

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov