[olug] drive and filesystem health monitoring

Matt Anderson manders2k.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:18:32 UTC 2007

I'm looking to implement some automated monitoring (probably nagios)
of drive and filesystem health.  Mostly, I'm interested on solutions
that will work on OS X, but I'm curious about how this differs from
Linux/FreeBSD as well.

I've played around a little with smartmontools recently.  Seems to
work great to query information on SATA drives (and I assume works
equally well on IDE drives), but no love on firewire drives.  Is
there any way to find out information about a drive 'hidden' behind a
firewire bus?  Is there any way of querying the firewire bus about
devices that live on it?  What kind of information is available?
What tool(s) do you use?

Anyone do any monitoring of filesystem health?  Is there a better way
to do this than running fsck or (OS X specific) 'diskutil
verifyVolume' and looking for suspicious things in the output?

Anyone have any pro-nagios or pro-something-else opinions as to the
best monitoring package to start with?

TIA,

--
  Matt Anderson