[olug] (Relatively) Nearby Colocation Centers

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 04:22:50 UTC 2007

It seems that Jay at RTU is ending his colocation service at the end of
August, which leaves me with no affordable place to go in the Omaha
area, or for that matter, anywhere closer than a 4-hour drive.  I've got
a 2U Compaq DL380 (I'd put another one up if I could afford it) that
needs a new home, stable power and 1-2Mbps of bandwidth.  Can anyone
suggest a reliable colocation center?  I'm willing to go as far west as
Lincoln and as far east as Kansas City if that's what it takes.

I have a feeling that there are a few others who are in this situation,
so in the spirit of nerdy groupthink I'll post the quotes I've found so
far.

RivTel Networks:
Location: Omaha
Pricing:
-$100/m/Rack Unit, $50 Setup per U
-1Mbps included per U
-2 IPs
-Business-hours Access

CoSentry:
Location: Bellevue
Pricing:
-Around $400 per 1/3 Rack
-$330/Mbps for peak-hours
-No limit on IPs with ARIN Justification
-All-hours Escorted Access

Binary Networks
Location: Lincoln
Pricing:
-$150/month, up to 4U
-No disclosed Mbps quote, just "From $20 per month"
-Unknown IP Policy
-Undisclosed Access Policy

First National Technical Solutions (FNTS)
Location: Omaha
Pricing: No pricing, just a funny story.  I called their data center and
the poor fellow I talked to had no idea what a "U" was, or if they
provided something called "colocation".  They're the IBM of internet
services.

Any other ideas or locations?
Thanks,
Dan