[olug] (Relatively) Nearby Colocation Centers

Shawn Mattingly smattin at mimezine.org
Thu Aug 16 05:24:01 UTC 2007

In Omaha, Cox Business Services will run you about $79/month for basic
service (64K up/9Mbit down) with one static IP...it depends on what kind
of arrangement you need, the services you plan on hosting and what
facilities you possess.  Higher upstream speeds are more per month, but
are certainly cheaper than some of the colo fees you quoted.  It's hard
to beat the amount of unescorted all-hours access you can have if the
server is in your basement...but power and what to do with the extra
heat may be problems for you.

I've been in First National's colo data center,  it seemed to me to be
very physically secure (they use a retinal scanner for access control on
the main door) and well appointed...if you are looking for rackspace
there you may want to talk to Jelecos Systems, I know they do a lot of
work there.

Sprint and Qwest will colo stuff for you too but you have to have a
relationship with one of their sales reps or know who to talk to to get
a quote...the monthlies are not going to be posted on their web pages.

Shawn