[olug] System booting from software raid -- possible?

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Apr 15 22:17:31 UTC 2007

On Sun, April 15, 2007 14:31, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> It's not possible to boot from an md RAID0 or RAID5 volume - grub and
> lilo aren't aware of things like striping or parity and won't be able to
> access the kernel and the initrd/initramfs (if you use them).
>
> What I would do is:
> /dev/sda1: MD partition for RAID1 - /boot (150MB)
> /dev/sda2: MD partition for RAID5 - / (10GB or so)
> /dev/sda3: MD partition for RAID5 - LVM PV (all the rest)
>
> /dev/sdb1: MD partition for RAID1 - /boot (150MB)
[snip
> /dev/sdc1: hot-spare MD partition for RAID1 - /boot (150MB)
[snip]

Good idea, thanks.

So, where does GRUB get installed to?  Or is it just a matter of
installing the GRUB boot loader to each /dev/sd* device and when /dev/sda
fails, the GRUB on /dev/sdb takes over?

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov