[olug] sftp vs. FTPS?

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Fri May 12 16:03:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, Jon H. Larsen wrote:
> On the client side, you can use Filezilla (Win32) or gFTP (Linux) to make
> secure FTPS connections.  Both are free.

I couldn't get gFTP working. See ./configure output below. Is GLIB an
X-Windows thing? I don't have X and gFTP is hard-tied to X? Couldn't find
a configure option to only build the command line version...

I got "lftp" working:

    http://lftp.yar.ru/

Yay! man lftp:

    lftp can handle six file access methods - ftp, ftps, http, https,
    hftp, fish and file (https and ftps are only available when lftp is
    compiled with openssl library).

Thanks Jon!

$ ./configure
-snip!-
checking for pkg-config... no
*** The pkg-config script could not be found. Make sure it is
*** in your path, or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable
*** to the full path to pkg-config.
*** Or see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig to get
pkg-config.
checking for glib-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.3... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.
configure: error: gFTP needs GLIB 1.2.3 or higher