[olug] DVD Camcorder and Linux

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Mar 26 18:56:14 UTC 2006

I have a 5 year old Sony Handycam that uses "Digital8" tapes and
it works well.  The taped are about $8 each and hold about 30-45
minutes.  It has a firewire port (Sony calls it iLink I think) and I
have used it with both Windows XP and Linux and it works well.

If I were in the market today I'd look at the camcorders that write
directly to the 3" DVDs.  I don't trust tapes over a few years
and at least the DVD would be readable by a computer if/when the camera
dies.

Dan

On Sat, March 25, 2006 23:41, Robert Alan Jacobs wrote:

> Okay, so I've found myself in the market for a DVD Camcorder - I'm
kind

> of rushed and I need to make a purchase decision in the next few
days

> and I've only just begun looking.

> On the recommendation of the sales guy at NFM, I'm checking out the

> reviews and such at http://www.camcorderinfo.com.  It is here that I
read:

> 	"Many camcorders, however, format their footage so that it

> 	cannot be directly imported onto a computer."

> Well...that sucks.

> Anyone own a DVD camcorder that you have been able to interface

> successfully with Linux?  Basically, I want to be able to get the

> footage off the camera, *maybe* edit it (not a priority at this
time)