[olug] DVD Camcorder and Linux

Robert Alan Jacobs r.a.jacobs at cox.net
Sun Mar 26 05:41:54 UTC 2006

Okay, so I've found myself in the market for a DVD Camcorder - I'm kind
of rushed and I need to make a purchase decision in the next few days
and I've only just begun looking.

On the recommendation of the sales guy at NFM, I'm checking out the
reviews and such at http://www.camcorderinfo.com.  It is here that I read:

	"Many camcorders, however, format their footage so that it
	cannot be directly imported onto a computer."

Well...that sucks.

Anyone own a DVD camcorder that you have been able to interface
successfully with Linux?  Basically, I want to be able to get the
footage off the camera, *maybe* edit it (not a priority at this time)
and then burn it to DVDs (probably DVD-R) that will play in most
DVD players.

Thanks for any help or insight....

-raj