[olug] Newbie question

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Mon Jan 16 18:10:46 UTC 2006

 netstat -lan | more

  What ports are open? tcp port 23 is telnet, tcp port 22 is ssh, you'll
see a few others.

  telnet 127.0.0.1 <port> - you'll get a telnet login for telnet and an
ID string for ssh - this is how you tell if the daemon is behaving on
the machine itself. If this works and remotes can't touch it you have a
firewall problem.

  It isn't surprising that telnet doesn't work as no one has used that
since ssh became available. Try ssh <machine IP> and you'll likely get
somewhere.