[olug] Using USB Memory stick for portability

Kenton Brede kbrede at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:50:00 UTC 2006

On 2/24/06, Kris Gainsforth <krisguy at krisguy.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to come up with an idea to keep my bookmarks, calendar, and
> newsgroup settings with me at all times.  I like the idea of Portable
> Firefox, etc., but I switch between Linux, Windows, and Macs all the
> time.  I found a Bookmark plugin for Firefox that exports to an XML
> file, and that works great, but I'm looking for the same thing for
> Sunbird and Thunderbird, for my calendar and newsgroups.  What ideas do
> you guys have?  Would it be easier for me to build a server to use to
> sync up this stuff, or is my idea of using a USB stick good?

You might be able to do something with -
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
http://alliance.seas.upenn.edu/~harmony/

Unison I've used in the past to sync certain files/directories between
machines, it should work with a thumb drive.  Harmony I don't have any
experience with, just ran across it and though it sounded interesting.
Kent

--
"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him
 from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important." - Martin