[olug] LTSP Lab for refugees

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 21:47:49 UTC 2006

On 11/30/06, Todd Christopher Hamilton <netarttodd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been thinking of putting a free computer lab together.  My
> thought is the lab could be used to educate folks who are new to the
> country and are working hard to acquire job skills in order to succeed
> in the US.  I am sure this is not a new idea.  Is any one doing this
> already?
>
> To start, I have a friend who is from Sudan.  He is a pastor of a
> church and has been here US/Omaha for about three years.  A lot of the
> people he comes in contact with are more or less refugees from Sudan.
> They could use a lot help.  My thought is that I could maybe help some
> of the gain some techie skills that could help them get real jobs.
>
> I was thinking of doing a linux terminal server project thing that is
> administered remotely.  Is there any interest?
>
> --
> Todd Christopher Hamilton
> (402) 660-2787

i am interested.

i am also trying to figure out to get free ISP time on Linux.  The
only one i found was JUNO's 10 hours per month, but to get JUNO to
work under Linux (there is a package from those Walmart Linux people)
but requires JUNO's premium service which is of course not free.
Didn't have much luck with WINE.

i suppose i need to try Win95 on VMWare Player.

Omaha need muni wifi.