[olug] Husker LUG

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Fri Oct 28 16:03:17 UTC 2005

The cluster got its port shut off for two reasons.
a) The cluster got root-kitted and wasn't playing nice on the net (spam,
windows hack attempts etc).  When IS sees that type of activity from a
machine it kills its port (but still charges for it).

b) The port charge at UNL is not $0.  Although not expensive
($5-$8/month), the budget for HLUG ran into the red.  I had them shutoff
the port (which had already been shutoff) until we can figure out what
we want to do with the machines.

Right now I don't know who has access to the room the machines are in so
we can retrieve them and get hlug.unl.edu running again.  I also don't
know who's arm I can twist to get the port fee waved.

Carl Lundstedt
UNL